31 % of employees say ‘less synergy with coworkers’ is the biggest obstacle while working from home
Everyone seems to have strong feelings about how productive employees are when working from home versus in the office. Regardless which you prefer, the chances are that you’re now forced to work remotely, due to the Covid-19 pandemic.
Currently, hundreds of thousands of employees use Fishbowl to discuss workplace issues, including the impact working from home is having on their productivity. For this reason, we decided to ask them about the biggest obstacle they now face while working from home. We asked employees on Fishbowl one simple question:
“What is the biggest obstacle you face in a remote work environment?”
Employees could answer with A.) Less synergy with coworkers, B.) Less accountability, C.) More meetings, or D.) Less clarity on priorities. The survey ran April 4 through April 6, 2020 and was answered by 12,885 verified professionals on the Fishbowl app from companies such as IBM, JP Morgan, Facebook, McKinsey, Tesla, Bank of America, BCG, Deloitte, Amazon, Edelman, Nike, Google, KPMG, and thousands of others.
Here’s what we found:
- 31% of all US employees responded with ‘Less synergy with coworkers.’
- 29% of all US employees responded with ‘More meetings.’
- 20% of all US employees responded with ‘Less clarity on priorities.’
- 19% of all US employees responded with ‘Less accountability.’
- When segmenting by industry, Consulting (33.75%) and Accounting (35.92%) employees found ‘More meetings’ to be the biggest obstacle, while employees in Law (32.4%), Finance (30.94%), and Advertising (39.54%) industries found ‘Less synergy with coworkers’ to be the biggest obstacle.
Looking for more data showing the impact Covid-19 is having on employees? Here’s what we found in three other recent surveys: