Every day, hundreds of thousands of professionals use Fishbowl, a workplace social network for verified employees. This allows us to survey these employees on trending, work-related topics.
For nearly two months, millions of employees have been working from home to prevent the spread of COVID-19. This recent shift to remote work has certainly been an adjustment for all; in our recent surveys, we have discovered that 54% fear layoffs at their company, a decline in synergy with coworkers has been the biggest obstacle while working from home, 62% of working parents are unable to juggle childcare while working from home, 42% of workers drink while working from home, and according to teachers, less than half of students are showing up for their remote classes.
In our most recent survey, we asked professionals on Fishbowl one simple question:
“If your state were to “re-open” now, would you feel safe going to your workplace?”
Professionals could answer with Yes or No and the survey ran April 22 through April 24, 2020. The survey was answered by 19,689 verified professionals on the Fishbowl app from across the U.S. and included employees at companies such as JP Morgan, Facebook, McKinsey, Tesla, Bank of America, BCG, Deloitte, Amazon, Edelman, Nike, Google, KPMG, and thousands of others.
Coronavirus Survey Results
- Overall, 80.61% responded that they would not feel safe going back to work if their state were to re-open now.
- Among states with at least 50 employee responses, New York finished with the lowest percentage of employees answering that they would feel safe returning to work now, with just 14.64%. Following closely behind were the District of Columbia (14.65%), Maryland (15.28%), Washington (15.57%), and California (16.05%).
- Louisiana had the highest percentage of employees answering that they feel safe going back into work, with 34.23%. Following closely behind are Alabama (32.99%), West Virginia (28.38%), Arizona (28.17%), and South Carolina (27.96%).
- When separating by industry, advertising and marketing agency employees had the lowest percentage of employees answering feeling safe enough to go back into work, with only 14.4% answering with Yes.
Previous Coronavirus Survey Results
Looking for more data showing the impact Covid-19 is having on employees? Here’s what we found in four other recent surveys:
- 31% of employees say ‘less synergy with coworkers’ is the biggest obstacle while working from home
- 54% of employees fear there will be layoffs at their company, due to fallout from Covid-19.
- 60% of working professions said that the Covid-19 pandemic has caused clients to pause or cancel work.
- 62% of working parents are unable to juggle working from home and childcare.
- According to teachers, less than half of students are showing up for their remote classes.
- 42% of employees say they drink while working from home.