In our recent surveys, we have found that 75% of professionals are against company contact tracing, 42% of workers drink while working from home, and 55% of professional employees are now working more hours than before the pandemic.
Many have experienced financial, physical and mental stress during the coronavirus pandemic. Staying at home for hours on end has had a toll on many, including romantic relationships. This connection between WFH and relationships prompted us to survey professionals regarding the impact of the pandemic on their relationships. We asked professionals one question:
“How has working from home affected your romantic relationship?”
Professionals could answer with one of five options, and the survey ran from June 12 through June 14, 2020. The survey was answered by over 16,847 verified professionals on the Fishbowl app from across the US. Respondents could answer with A) Led to breakup or divorce, B) Strained, but still together, C) No impact, D) Positive impact, or E) Not in a relationship. Respondents included employees at companies such as IBM, JP Morgan, Facebook, McKinsey, Deloitte, Bank of America, Amazon, Edelman, Nike, Google, KPMG, and thousands of others.
Working From Home Survey Results
- Overall – Overall, 28.68% said WFH during the coronavirus pandemic has had a positive impact on their relationship, 25.29% answered that they were not in a relationship, 23.08% said WFH had no impact, 16.28% said it strained their relationship, and 6.67% said it led to a breakup or divorce. A total of 22.95% said WFH had a negative impact on their relationship when combining those who answered that WFH caused a breakup and those whose relationship was strained.
- By industry – Tech had the highest percent of employees breaking up or divorcing, with 12.56%. Following Tech were Finance professionals (9.35%) and Management Consultants (9.3%). Additionally, a whopping 33% in Tech answered that WFH led to A.) A breakup / divorce or B.) Strained the relationship.Conversely, 37.75% of Human Resources professionals reported a positive impact on their relationship, which was the highest among any industry. Not too far behind were Law (31.2%) and Healthcare (30.71%).
- By State – Colorado had the highest percent of employees saying working from home during the pandemic has had a positive impact on their relationship, with 35.29%. Following closely behind were Washington (34.58%), Missouri (33.33%), Louisiana (33.18%), and Utah (32.82%).New York had the highest percent saying WFH had a negative impact, with 29.7%. Following New York were California (27.16%), Arizona (25.91%), Pennsylvania (25.88%), and Maryland (25.47%).Arizona had the highest percent who said WFH actually led to a divorce or break up with 8.64%. Following Arizona were California (8.24%), New York (8.23%), New Jersey (8.06%), and Pennsylvania (7.53%).
- By Gender – females saw a higher percentage of positive impact on their relationships, at 30.18%, while males saw a higher percentage of breakups, at 24.89%.
Looking for more data showing the impact Covid-19 is having on employees? Here’s what we found in four other recent surveys:
- 31% of employees say ‘less synergy with coworkers’ is the biggest obstacle while working from home
- 54% of employees fear there will be layoffs at their company, due to fallout from Covid-19.
- 60% of working professions said that the Covid-19 pandemic has caused clients to pause or cancel work.
- 62% of working parents are unable to juggle working from home and childcare.
- According to teachers, less than half of students are showing up for their remote classes.
- 42% of employees say they drink while working from home.
- 53.97 percent of women say they stopped wearing makeup, 29.78 percent of men stopped shaving, and 1 out of 10 employees aren’t even wearing more than underwear on their Zoom calls.
- 55% of employees say they work more hours each week than before the pandemic.