- what made you stay at Deloitte?
- at what point did you decide to make a career pivot?
- how you find fulfillment in your professional life?
1) I really enjoyed my work and the team I had built at Deloitte. That combo is really special.
2) Deloitte unfortunately had gotten into the practice of promoting employees based on tenure over merit. Meanwhile my ex husband gave me an ultimatum that year: if you want to stay together you need to find a job where you aren’t traveling every week! (By the way, don’t ever stay with someone that gives you any kind of ultimatum.) What I realized from his request was that I was making very large personal sacrifices without a commensurate pay off. I shared this realization with a friend who passed my resume to the head of eBay Motors and within a week I had a job offer that doubled my salary and promoted me into a level of responsibility I would not have had as a consultant for another 5 years, at least, if I had stayed.
3) Through the clients I advised at Deloitte, or the inventory classification engine that we developed at eBay Motors, or the data driven insights for over the air diagnostics at CarForce.io, I have always felt a sense of happiness and fulfillment in building something that impacts millions of lives at scale.
Download the app for more exclusive discussions.