Compensation

Strategy& vs Parthenon total comp past MBA level? I’ve got offers for both. Parthenon is 170k and Strategy& is 150k base, but I’ve heard S& bonuses are higher. I’m wondering how total comp compares

like
Reaction Icon Like
Arrow Icon
works at

SC1 knows absolutely nothing about PwC’s Deals platform. Let me educate you. DDV (PwC) has two types of work: (1) pre-deal diligence and (2) integrations and divestitures. They work for both PE and corporate clients. Diligence is limited to carve-out diligence (i.e., what is the cost baseline for NewCo), high-level IT diligence and the occasional operational diligence. Integration and divestiture work can range from PMO to functional specific (e.g., helping the IT division of a company figure out what their five year roadmap looks like after a merger). Their projects have significant exposure to top executive leadership. Deals Strategy (S&) provides the typical MBB offering of commercial due diligence and search and screens. Team holds a lot of interviews with industry experts through GLG, Coleman, etc., gets smart fast, does some analysis and then reports out. Analysis includes market sizing (total and addressable), customer segmentation, customer identification, strengths/weaknesses of competitors, market shares by product and player, future market trends, geographical differences in each of these, potential disruptors and threats, key purchasing criteria of customers, customer journey, pricing, key drivers of revenue, achievability of business plan, etc. There’s a lot to learn, break down, and build a perspective on in 2-4 weeks. The S& PEVC (Private Equity Value Creation) team provides both pre-deal diligence and post-deal execution support exclusively to private equity clients and portfolio companies. Pre-deal diligence includes operational (e.g, cost savings, plant sustainability, scaleability), synergy, technology (e.g., value of a patent / technology), etc. Post-deal work is focused on execution, assessing and capturing value identified in pre-deal stages.

Reaction Icon Like
likehelpful
Arrow Icon

SC1 - That sounds about right. S& in general had grown to be too big about a year ago, so DDV and the other MC groups absorbed some of the resources. One-time thing during the resizing effort and definitely a bad situation.

Reaction Icon Like
Arrow Icon

Historically, all in, Parthenon total comp has been the same as other comparable forms, including S&. Comp is changing in the industry; S& hasn’t moved yet, not sure about Parthenon, but assume all in they will be equivalent to each other and their peers come your start date. The higher base at Parthenon has always been their gimmick. I wouldn’t make this a decision factor. Focus on the nature of the work and the people you encounter.

Reaction Icon Like
like
Arrow Icon

S& as of now- 150k base + 20% bonus for SA1, all in 180k Parthenon-170k base + 8-10k bonus,all in ~180k. If you have a non S& deals offer, make your decision based on what you would like to do. Parthoenon focuses on DD and as such they have close to zero travel, this is similar to our deals strategy role. If your offer is for corp business/ops strategy, you would travel more than 80% of the time and do a variety of projects including DD work. If you want to take potential pay increase into account, there is a chance we match BCG and revised comp would be 165k base + 20% bonus, all in 198 for an SA1.

Reaction Icon Like
like
Arrow Icon

I would not assume S& is less comp than Parthenon. S& Leadership’s statements to date have been that “Historically our comp has been competitive with MBB. That commitment has not changed.” The Parthenon comp is high base and low bonus for the post MBA staff level (assume 2-3 years). Other strategy consultancies pay slightly lower bases than Parthenon with higher bonus which, over the life of 2-3 years at the post MBA staff level, is higher total comp than Parthenon. This concept isn’t complicated.

Reaction Icon Like
Arrow Icon

Our deals strategy team does some really interesting work. Deals are hard, but if you’re looking to grow it’s a good place to be.

Reaction Icon Like
like
Arrow Icon

I’m in FS, in 4 years I’ve only one one deal because the target required slightly more specialized knowledge. Deals work is fairly rare outside of deals.

Reaction Icon Like
like
Arrow Icon

Figure out which culture is best. Pick that one. If S& offer is deals strategy run fast, very fast to Parthenon - has a terrible reputation and have never known anyone to like the people in DS.

Reaction Icon Like
like
Arrow Icon

I’ve heard the exact opposite consistently.

Reaction Icon Like
Arrow Icon

I know a lot of deals strategy folks, very nice people.They do work banking like hours but get paid strategy consulting dollars.

Reaction Icon Like
like
Arrow Icon

Also don’t forget to check Glassdoor and search through here for any other reviews for both firms

Reaction Icon Like
Arrow Icon

Echo what someone above said If it is deals strategy then run far unless you want to work banker hours with consultant pay. Also S& deals and DDV (legacy PwC deals team) don’t play along. If it is non deals work then consider it. If it is deals then run far.

Reaction Icon Like
Arrow Icon

OP you sound like you're over thinking this. Pay progression is very similar. Put your supply and demand hat on and think about it.

Reaction Icon Like
Arrow Icon

Parth targets the same total comp. they use a high base, low bonus to make that happen. Look at managementconsulted. It also sounds like parth has not changed in a few yrs.

Reaction Icon Like
Arrow Icon

Management consulted only shows you first year comp. I’m planning on staying longer than that.

Reaction Icon Like
Arrow Icon

Hmm I’d ask fishbowl what are the communicates bonus ranges for the level you’ve been offered. Usually the median of those bonus payouts are closer to the bottom 3rd of the curve

Reaction Icon Like
Arrow Icon

Related Posts

Where do you find inspiration for fresh, new, creative and interactive lessons?

like
Reaction Icon Like
Arrow Icon

How much is the pay increase from first year to second assurance? Probably Tier 3 Midwest market

Reaction Icon Like
Arrow Icon

I saw a great thread yesterday about show recommendations for ppl staying indoors. Any movie recs? Not sure how long this will last and don't want to get invested in a multiseason show. Thanks 🐟!

like
Reaction Icon Like
Arrow Icon

Ladies I hate yoga mostly because I hate downward dog. Should I be looking into different practices? Non-vinyasa? Would love YouTube recommendations too!

like
Reaction Icon Like
Arrow Icon

I currently make a decent living as an independent contractor selling multiple product lines. I have been approached by an industry leader to join on board to consult for them for comparable pay...

like
Reaction Icon Like
Arrow Icon

I'm already miss my boxing gym but am VERY thankful for my peloton (which I had started neglecting).

like
Reaction Icon Like
Arrow Icon

Are you angry about gerrymandering?

likefunny
Reaction Icon Like
Arrow Icon

Whats Mel Routhier, ECD at DDB like?

like
Reaction Icon Like
Arrow Icon

Any folks from EY FDD Data Analytics? Curious about the hours, salary, team environment, etc. Thanks!

Reaction Icon Like
Arrow Icon

Who else is down at MJBizCon?

like
Reaction Icon Like
Arrow Icon

The longer the feedback takes to be submitted the better or worse my on-site went?

like
Reaction Icon Like
Arrow Icon

@oliverwyman

Post Photo
likefunny
Reaction Icon Like
Arrow Icon

New Career Framework coming out soon. What have y’all heard?

like
Reaction Icon Like
Arrow Icon

Where do I go to seek help? I am for some reason very sad from within and I am unable to pull myself out of it. What is that I can do to feel better?

like
Reaction Icon Like
Arrow Icon

How do narcissists react when you break up with them? I've seen a lot of ladies post here about the ordeals they have been through while on a relationship, what happens after? Do they seek revenge?

like
Reaction Icon Like
Arrow Icon

Can y’all help me guess what a Tier 1 ICRS percentage raise to senior would be?

like
Reaction Icon Like
Arrow Icon

Last year I took off a few days early Jan. This year my husband wants to take off 3 days the week of Jan 20th.... Should I even try requesting from my firm???

like
Reaction Icon Like
Arrow Icon

Where’s the best place to find freelance work after you’ve exhausted your contact list?

like
Reaction Icon Like
Arrow Icon
like
Reaction Icon Like
Arrow Icon

Download the Fishbowl app

That was just a preview…
Sign Up to see all discussions
  • Discover what’s it’s like to work at companies from real professionals
  • Get candid advice from people in your field in a safe space
  • Chat and network with with other professionals in your field
Sign up in seconds to unlock all discussions on Fishbowl.

Already a user?
Sign in here

Share

Embed this post

Copy and paste embed code on your site

Preview